Friday, June 23, 2006

To be in love?

Loving someone can make you do some pretty dumb things. Rational thought, wisdom and logic are discarded. It's often difficult to see past the fact that you’re in love and that pretty much drives you to wherever that road may take you. I guess the point I'm making is that it's less about rational thought and more about instinct and desire.

Now, I'm not saying this is good practice and a model for relationships (it's not!). BUT, what would my life look like if my relationship with God was driven by that kind of love? Love that couldn’t see anything beyond the fact that I was hopelessly in love. Love that was driven by instinct, desire and passion. Love that says, ‘I love YOU! I need YOU and I can’t be without you! EVER – not even for a second!

My decisions would be driven by that love. My thoughts would be consumed with my my God. My hopes, dreams, desires and aspirations would be found in knowing that I’m loved. All I would need in this life would be to know, feel, experience that love. I would be a broken man wiithout it. I would be crushed should that love ever be removed. That kind of love says, ‘I would do anything for you my love, because my heart is filled with joy at the thought of you!’

I’m not making big statements. These are just my muddled thoughts and muddled prayers. I am (clumsily) trying to express that I want to be in love.

Asaph knows what I’m talking about:

Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you. (Psalm 73:25)

I know that Asaph’s desire, love and hope in the Living God were based on rational thought. He understood the holy, rescuing, merciful nature of His God. But there’s more to this relationship then just rational thought. He LOVES his God. He says, ‘There is NOTHING on earth I desire besides you!’ These are the words of a man who is in love! He feels these things deeply in his heart…

These are just my muddled words that are an expression of my muddled thoughts...

3 Comments:

Blogger becci brown said...

Pretty articulate actually! It encourages my heart that you desire to fall so deeply in love with God. Amen to that.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

muddled thoughts perhaps but profound. I'd never thought of it like that before. Reminds me of somewhere else in the Bible "...though He slay me yet I will love Him..." Wow, If we had that kind of reckless love for Him nothing else would matter. Thanks for the inspiration of irrationality!

8:07 PM  
Blogger p said...

Inspiration of irrationality - Yeah...I like that!

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home