Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Yes/ No game

When I was a child I used to play a game called Yes/No. Mostly, I used to play the game with my friends during RE because I found Religious Education hopelessly irrevant to anything (how ironic).

The game involved trying to make the other person say either yes or no. 'Do you like apples?' I would ask, 'erm...depends how I'm feeling' would come the reply - and so on and so forth...My favoured tactic to catch out newbies was to accuse them of saying 'it', aggressively whilst pointing:

Me: YOU SAID IT! YOU SAID YES!!!

Newbie: NO I DID'T! NO I DIDN'T!!

Me: Ha ha - you just sadi it twice!

Most people could hold out for a time but the urge to say yes or no in that game was overwhelming and sometimes it was all a bit too much.
I was reading Psalm 103 thins morning in my QT and realized that the Psalmist never actually asks God for anything in this Psalm. It's full of praise and adoration and that's it!

He reflects upon what God has done (v1-5):

* Forgives sin
* Heals diseases
* Redeems his life
* Crowns him with love and compassion (my favourite)
* Satisfies his desires with good things (I like that one too!)

He reflects upon what God is like (v6-19):

* Righteous
* Just
* Cares for the oppressed
* Knowable
* Father
* Compassionate
* Gracious
* Patient
* Full of mercy
* Loving
* Rescuing
* Forgiving
* Holy

Did you know the Hindus have 1000 names for god and none of them is father? The Psalm reminds me of something Mike Partridge said to me a long time ago. 'Pod, there are two things that are fundamental to our understanding of the doctrine of God. First, He is holy. Second He is love and everything else hangs off or those two attributes. What an amazing God He is.

He reflects upon what God is worth (v20-22)

The Psalmist wants other people to join with him in praise. Not just praise MY soul but you come and praise him too – praise YOUR soul.

Yes/ No?
This morning I tries to just praise God for who He is and tried to not ask Him for anything. to just adore him and reflect on all He has done. However, Like the Yes/ No game I found the urge to ask God for 'things' just a little too overwhelming. Oh well...Interesting experiment whilst it lasted...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home