Thursday, July 06, 2006

One Hot Minute

I won't write a gig review cause' it's late and I want to go to bed but it was Awesome. All the classics...Give it Away, Under the Bridge, By the Way, etc...They rocked!

I said in an earlier post how much the Chilli's had influenced much approach to playing guitar. John Fruciante's playing has always been simple, minimalist but full of energy and emotion. Under the Bridge, possibly, has some of the most beautiful and emotive guitar playing I've ever heard. Very Hendrix-esq and fluid. It flows like liquid - one note to the next. As a musician he demonstrates maturity and humility in both his attitude to his music and his playing.

'My job in the Chilli Peppers is to make everyone else sound better' John Fruciante

I learned guitar listening to Chilli's albums over and over. Working out each guitar part, each and every note, how it was played and why it was played the way it was. The guitar solo to Californication was slated by the guitar magazines because it was so dry and simple. A learner player could play that solo - but that's not the point. The point is he wanted to serve the song not his ego. In Fruciante's mind that song required that particular solo. He isn't insecure and he doesn't care about the guitar mags. All Fruciante ever cared about was self expression and being faithful to his art.

Those who have heard me play guitar may not immediately see his influence in my playing. I use tons of effects - esp delay. My sound would never be described as dry and minimalist. I don't even use Fender Strats anymore preferring the more robust sound an Ibanez delivers. In many ways I have moved away from my roots. These last few years I've been experimenting with heavier tones and textures. My playing has become much more aggressive and I've preferred the emotionless tone of an Ibanez as I've tried to make my guitar sound like anything other then a guitar and something that sounds more like a synth or a couple of decks scratching...anything to sound different.

Well, I've been told to tone down my use of effects for Forum so maybe it's time to put away the Ibanez, lay off the Q-Tron, dust down the old Strat, brush up on my Hendrix, get back to my roots and lay down some funk!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home