Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The God who cares

The bible is not simply a maker's instruction hand book. It is a love letter from the bridegroom to his bride and his bridegroom has not left his bride alone.

I used to think (although I never would have said) that God had set up the universe, given us the bible and left us to get on with it. It was almost an entirely deist view of God. God is less concerned with who we marry, the job we do, etc. he is more concerned that we are holy. There is, of course, truth in that but I’m discovering there is just so much more to the xn life than just – follow the bible…

Some folks would argue God has made us and given us various abilities and now it is up to us to make decisions for ourselves about life so long as I follow God’s moral will. So, we shouldn’t look for any kind of witness or any kind of special application of verses from the bible to my situation. We shouldn’t expect any dreams or intuitions or words from the Spirit, etc. God has no plans for my life and I must stand on my own two feet and make decisions for myself based on the teaching of the bible. In practice, God doesn’t really care who I marry or what I do with my life so long as I’m obedient to the bible.

This view becoming increasingly popular amongst evangelicals as they react against some of the more whacky Spirit focused extremes we see in the church today. But here’s the thing…

We are not servants of an all powerful emperor but little children cared for by our Father. Our God is our FATHER. We are to understand our lives within the context of a loving family NOT an impersonal government. Read Matthew 6:25-33 – If He puts so much care into the lives of plants and birds, how much more does He care for us who are His children. He numbers the hairs on our head and He worries about what we need each day so we need not worry. He wants us to talk to him about EVERYTHING we need. He is more generous than even the most indulgent father with his favourite child. Mathew 7:11 – if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your father in heaven give good things to those who ask him.’

1 Peter 5:7 – ‘Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.’ What kind of loving Father would God be if he didn’t care about the important decisions in our lives? Even the most unfeeling father has some kind of view on what their child should do with their life.

As I said, God has not left His bride groom alone. He hasn’t just set up the world, given us a few instructions and left us to toil on our own. He is intimately involved with every aspect of every small detail in every little part of our lives. Of course He is? Wouldn’t you be interested in the hopes, dreams and aspirations of your kids?

In my life, I have often found myself feeling confused and slightly alone. I was an English/ Indian kid growing up in two worlds and not really understanding either. I was popular at school but I was very aware that things were different for me. I was different. At home, my father wasn't around much and my mother was coming to terms with her own situation. My sister was older than me and eventually found her place in the wider family. I kinda' struggled along on my own. Made my choices and lived with the consquence of some pretty bad desicions that got made along the way...

What am I trying to say? I guess I'm saying that my whole life I have been looking for guidence. Someone to show the way, to tell me what to do, to tell me waht's right and wrong and to teach me wisdom. I have longed for that my whole life. Maybe that's why I fell in love with some of those old Kung Fu/ martial arts films! The relationship of master and apprentice. The apprentice was always sfae in the hands of his master and there he would find wisdom, guidence, acceptence and love. I love Paul's relationship with Timothy and Elijah's relationship with Elisha. Teacher and student with a common purpose.

I find myself at a time in life where I am in desperate need of guidence. I was finally able to muster up courage to ask God for some direction. We do need couarage if we're to approach God in this way. It's not a thing to be taken lightly. If I ask God to speak to me - what am I to do with what He says? I know what I want but God knows what I need and sometimes what we need and what we want can be very differnt things.

I asked God to speak into my life - to give me that which I so desperately needed...guidence. Was the word I recieved from God, or was it my own imaginings? Well...that's the question I must now reflect upon, test and pray through. My dear friend Peter said to me one time, 'Pod - when God speaks to His poeple in this way the they often add more words than they should and can sometimes apply the 'word' in fallible ways.'

Please pray that I would exercise wisdom...

4 Comments:

Blogger Ant said...

will do...

8:33 AM  
Blogger p said...

Thank you Ant. I'm sorry I haven't been on ur blog for so long now. I don't do the rounds as I once did. Maybe I'll start checking in from time to time again?

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying for you too. I so love the way you talk about the relationship with the Father, the Bridegroom. I don't like the idea of being left alone to do my own thing. I too want Him to be involved in every area of my life (well most of the time I do). I'm seeking His direction in several areas too. Can you pray for me too? Thanks,

John

8:59 PM  
Blogger p said...

Hey Coffeeman - it's always good to hear from you. I think you have the spiritual gift of encouragement! I'm going to write more about how God is revealing himself to me as father, groom and friend...

I will certainly pray for you my friend.

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home